Saturday, March 23, 2013

Stop or you'll go blind

Remember those Mossimo shirts a bajillion years ago that said "stop or you'll go blind" in fuzzy letters? It took me a few years to understand why my mom wouldn't let me get the one with that particular saying. Mine wasn't nearly as catchy as I don't even remember what it said. Anywho, that popped into my head while thinking of picking up where I last left off - my weird eye. So the results of my scan are in and the numbers are "microns" bigger than they like to see them. Not a "huge" deal. Eye doc retook the scans they took last time and saw no changes which is good apparently. She then showed me two sets of scans taken six months apart from another patient of hers. With only dietary changes, this lady's maculas looked better. I'm a visual person so this made me a true believer in the power of diet. She said to continue with a diet high in spinach, broccoli, and berries and we would recheck in six months. So I'm not going blind just yet! I'm thankful I've gotten over being weirded out by the color of my green smoothies. That will help with my spinach and berry consumption. Not broccoli though. Only my hubby is weird enough that he can be ok chewing a smoothie. If you have to chew it, it's not smooth, and therefore cannot be dubbed a SMOOTHie!

I now have a 6 year old, a 4 year old, a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old. Time is flying! I'm not sure why but having a 6 year old is just crazy to me. It seems so much older than 5. It's like since she's now in kindergarten, 3/5 of the way to double digits, and 1/3 of the way to 18 and adulthood, I have to accept that she is truly growing up. There isn't a trace of baby left in that girl. The double party was a huge hit. My stepdad had a surprise up his sleeve - he rented the kids a bouncy house! It was a perfect day to enjoy outside and the kids had a blast. I only wish we had known with a little more notice and I would have invited a few more friends. They didn't care though. It was wonderful.

That day was to start out with baby boy's baptism. I had invited my grandparents because I knew they would like to be there for it, but they live over an hour away and our church starts at 9:30. Plus, they live on a farm so they have to feed all the critters first thing in the morning. My grandma assured me they would try but if the temperature was too cold, they wouldn't be able to because the water would be frozen. That morning my grandma called as soon as they got on the road - they were going to make it. My grandpa woke up super early and did all the chores in the dark. Now that's love. They were going to go to my mom's house and follow her to our church, 2 minutes on up the road. As we passed my mom's house on our way, I looked up at the driveway to see if my grandparents had made it there yet or not and I saw a surprise. My bro and his girl had come down! I was thrilled. I had sent them a Facebook message inviting them down but assured them we in no way expected them to come down and miss out on work. Neither one responded which I wondered about but it was such a great surprise. Baby boy got baptized and we officially joined the church we've been attending for a year and a half. Afterward we came back to Mom's house and turned it into party central. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful village for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment